#1 audioquest

audioquest

2nd to None

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Cars and My Woman
  • State:NSW

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:32 PM

Will there be any different using a 16awg and a 12awg speaker cable for the 6.5" woofer. What will be the different?

#2 shiny_car

shiny_car

Posts too much

• Moderators
  • 41,039 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:05 AM

i think you know the answer to this. :roll: :D

presuming the wire is <20m (arbitrary) and not carrying more than say 300WRMS continuous, 16awg is perfectly adequate.

at lower volumes (eg: SQ comps), there'll be NO audible difference. it's cheaper and easier to install too obviously.

do you have the choice? what (esoteric ;) ) wire you talking about?

:)

#3 audioquest

audioquest

2nd to None

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

No exotic cables shiny. I am running a 3 way speaker cable to my door. The 2 way speaker cable is 16awg. I can't get the same 16awg now, have to wait for a month. Only 12awg is in stock now. The sales peson swear that the 12awg will sound better for 6.5 "mid-bass instead of using the 16awg because it handle less bass.
To be frank I don't have any problem running a 16awg cable for my mid bass. But he insist it will be better.
Just want to know is there any opinion on this.

#4 Bassaholic

Bassaholic

Junglist

• Members
  • 8,285 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:42 PM

How long will each cable be? And the nominal impedance of each of the drivers is 4 ohm. Correct?

Depending on length (total resistance), they will sound the same. The difference (when resistance is significant) isn't necessarily less bass but significant power losses in the power wire, that will result in reductions in damping factor.

If you don't want to wait and willing to pay the extra for the 12 gauge, you may as well get the 12 gauge now...

I assume you aren't running a ridiculous amount of power to each driver (like way over 500w RMS).

#5 audioquest

audioquest

2nd to None

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

Yes, 4ohm, 6m in lenght, 75w in each driver. In Tri-amp.

#6 Bassaholic

Bassaholic

Junglist

• Members
  • 8,285 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:12 PM

Well with 4 ohm drivers and 6m cables, 16 gauge is a borderline case, with some amps with very low damping factors, there is a possibility of an audible difference. (for those with very good hearing)

Using my fairly conservative method of selecting wire (so there is little chance of an audible difference), I would normally suggest at least 14 gauge when you have fairly long runs of 6m+.

You may as well use the 12 gauge wire for the 6.5". :)

I would

#7 audioquest

audioquest

2nd to None

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

Thanks