Photo
- - - - -

custom made pressure vessel - aluminium...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

resident expert on everything

• Members
  • 8,210 posts
  • Interests:TV dinners
  • State:VIC

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

Guys,

Im trying to find someone who can build me a custome made air tank for my 4x4. I want about 15 litres under the car.
It needs to be able to withstand 180 PSI.

I'm going to use two PX07 12V compressors and the tank will be used for airing up tyres, and for use with on board water storage for pressure cleaning the car and will be regulated down to 100 PSI to opperate either ARB or TJM air lockers (im leaning towards the TJM unit at this stage - though I dont like the wait :( ) I'll only bew going a front locker to start with as the rear has LSD which is pretty good - especially when shimmed tight which mine is (makes round about interesting in the wet though).

Natually it will be plumbed up with check valves and pressure switches and water seperators etc. I may end up just using smaller off the shelf tanks - does any one know what effect using multiple smaller tanks has - ie will 3 x 3 litre tanks be the same as one 9 litre tank?

#2 ~thematt~

~thematt~

If I think its funny, it is. If you dont, you're stupid

• Members
  • 3,306 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

You're a smart guy, you can do it yourself!!

The Australian Standard is AS1210 (AS1200 for Pressure Equipment, 1210 is specific for vessels). So long as its not fired, or a reactor, it will fall under this standard.

#3 mangrovejack

mangrovejack

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • State:ACT

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

Have you thought about getting an old fire extinguisher bottle. I've seen that used plenty of times. Combine it with an Endless air system and you'd be able to fill the tank in no-time at all.

#4 mosoto

mosoto

Audioslave

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  • Interests:Way too many to list
  • State:WA

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

Why not mod an air compressor tank to suit?
Any boiler maker could make you one surely.............

#5 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Matt - its the Aluminium that I'll have the trouble with ;) dont deal with recycled coke cans in this industry :P
Plus I reacon 8mm mild steel plate, which is about the lightest we deal with, might be a little heavy :P

We have made pressure vessels before - but not very often - something that we leave more for shearform and one of our drafties "whispers".

Might still give it a go. Ive got a freind who has a tig and theres a metal spinner a few streets away - might find out if they deal with aluminium.
You wouldnt happen to have a copy of the code any where would you Matt?

Mangrovejack - Personally I dont like the idea of an old fire extinguisher bottle - something about it has just never sat right with me. Corrossion and what not...
Plus im not going to use an endless system. I was going to - I even have a spare york compressor with the mods - but I cent really fir it under the bonnet anywhere with enough belt wrap. And I have a Sanden compressor as well - no mods on that one - but they are easy enough to do. But after receint investigations I dont think i want an "endless" type system - too many failures. Without the freon as a lubricant they seem to get extreemly hot and do rings and seize randomly - not something you want when you've just air'd down to 16psi with 33" claws on and miles to get to the nearest servo...

The PX07 aka the BOSS Grande as sold by Steve Hobbs and Boss Air suspension is good for upto 200 PSI and will restart with over 180 PSI load is fan cooled 750watt motor and flows upto 3.5 CFM with no load.
The endless needs to be doing about 2200RPM to flow 7CFM @ 150-200PSI. So I presonally think 2 of the PX07 compressors should flow a similar amount at those type pressures and far more than the endless flows @ idle and its a compressor that is made to do the task being asked of it...

#6 Fury♫

Fury♫

♫ Because Physics

• Moderators
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

Speak to Phatt Sam?

I recall him telling me about a bloke who made his XR fuel tank for him?

#7 mangrovejack

mangrovejack

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

Sorry for the OT post, but I just saw your statement under your avatar regarding Portal axles. I'd love to have a pair for my Jeep as well.

Marks Adaptors has a kit for the Nissans (GQ & GU) for just under $15k! http://www.marks4wd....issan-GQ-GU.htm

#8 toyotaman

toyotaman

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

it is possible (to my understanding) to be able to cut a section out or a trucks air tank to make it smaler. going this way, it has all the threads done. im not sure if it would be up to standard, maybe somebody could clarify. another option (similar to the fire extinguisher) what about a plain aloy nos tank?

marks adapters do evrything dont they? NOW DO IT!!!

#9 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

Haha portals will come - trust me. Though there might be a twin cab mod done to the patrol before portals - make it a bit of a better tourer - put a few extra inches between the axles but the increase in ground clearance would accomodate that.

I'm looking at the Marks 4wd adaptors portal kit - but you cant have CTIS (central tyre inflation system) from the hub with them - so Im looking at unimog hubs which can. Either way portals and crawlers on diesel gas should make it a pretty unstoppable machine on or off the road and should make it a very capable tourer. Not sure if I should piss the 4.2T off and stick a 6.5TD chev in yet or not...
Just gotta wait till the lease is up ;)

In the state they put the unimog and volvo hubs in jeeps all the time. I think there may even be someone who builds portals for jeeps with reduction gearing in the hubs

Edited by Komodo, 02 November 2007 - 10:15 PM.

#10 Sierra

Sierra

3kW Power House

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

Ah yes .... AS1210 Unfired Pressure Vessels .... been many years since I've flicked through that one ;)

Have you tried Brown Davis Automotive Kirk? .... They fabricate all sorts of custom 4WD stuff.

#11 SQXPRT

SQXPRT

Digital is only on or off

• Members
  • 12,333 posts
  • Interests:Audio, Computers, Mobile Electronics

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:17 AM

I'm not sure, but aluminium may not be the best material to use under the car.
best bet is an old extinguisher, or similar. 1500kPa is a bit (unless that's the test pressure?) - most ppl use only about 700-800kPa.

#12 MADTRAV

MADTRAV

Not just another Man

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:Stamp Collecting

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Hey bloke smoker, try a bbq gas bottle!!!!

What about a call to a mob that do automotive gas conversions, maybe they have an off the shelf tank available or a custom job?

#13 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

Ok well Im thinking that Im going to go the off the shelf version as I've found a few tanks that suit my needs BUT i still need an answer as to tank capacities

Im after a tank of about 15Ltrs However the 15L tanks dont fit dimensionally BUT I have 2 spaces of identical shap and size that are within 450mm of one another.

So the question is if i use two tanks of 8L capacity joined via braided air hose - will this equate to the same as one 16L tank? this SHOULD hopefully enable me to inflate a tyre before the compressor kicks in. And with two PX-07 compressors (the same type of compressor used in BOSS Air ride suspension systems) the tanks "should" be full and the compressors cut out before I get to the next tyre to inflate.
And I think im going 35's now ;)

#14 mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke

-

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

i think it would be a slight bottle neck but shouldn't cause any problems

#15 mangrovejack

mangrovejack

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

I would use the two tanks and hook up the compressors so they fill one each. Route the air hoses so that you can use both tanks at the same time or each tank individually (not sure if there are ways of allowing a "switch" for air?). You'd have a nice dual redundant backup in case one compressor carks it as a bonus.

#16 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

Thats pretty much how i was going to have the set up mangrovejack. I'll even have dual pressure switches in a redundant setup incase the first fails