• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dugald_bell

dugald_bell

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to put all the turbo components onto a N/A RB30 in a R31 skyline, or do you have to transplant the complete motor? If it can be done do you have to change to the turbo head as well? is the vl computer interchangable or do you need a programmable system? The skyline is a manual.

#2 UsedBC

UsedBC

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:26 AM

you will need to do i bit but i'm gathering the turbo could be used, but u will still need to get new injectors, intercooler (depending on amount of boost) and you probably need a thicker head gasket to lower the compression (i think) you would probably be better off getting a front cut of a skyline and doing a transplant. cheaper and easyer IMO.

#3 teMPe5t

teMPe5t

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 30 October 2003 - 01:35 AM

The r31 skyline didnt come with a rb30et from the factory stock, only came in the VLT but like usedbodychocolate said you're better off getting a VLTurbo front cut. Bolt on the head from the rb20, 25 or 26 and then you'll be cooking

#4 Winterheart

Winterheart

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:20 AM

Could someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but to do the turbo conversion, won't you need an RB30 block that has the oil lines for the turbo, ie the Series 2 RB30 blocks? Other than that, I'd probably say that a RB25DET conversion would likely work out to roughly the same cost, and probably provide as much or more power than the RB30ET would, or possibly consider a hybrid of an RB30 block with the RB25DET head. There's been numerous articles done on those conversions, and they seem to be worthwhile. Just my thoughts. Cheers

#5 VL Commy

VL Commy

1500 - 3000w RMS

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  • State:ACT

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:46 AM

Stock RB30 will handle the turbo fine. The higher compression will also leave you with more torque. Though i wouldnt boost it much higher than 9-10psi on N/A internals.

All R31 skylines came with the same engine as the VL series two which has the 3 holes in the block for oil return line etc which the VL series 1 didnt have. so no problems there.

Stock injectors will work, but will be holding you back, and again intercooler is not needed, but is recommended.

Also you will need to track down VLT ECU and the list goes on.

I suggest you head on over to www.ozperformance.net and do a search for "turbo conversion" as it is quite often discussed there.

#6 Earthquake

Earthquake

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • State:TAS

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:32 PM

There is a RB30 engine conversion into a VL here in Hobart, he is a good freind of mine back in College, he said it was a simple conversion everything lined up perfectly as if it was designed to fit stock!!

he hasn't got a heap od psi going thru it but it is a nice conversion imo

#7 harris_r31

harris_r31

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:09 AM

all r31 skyline rb30's are series 2 blocks so you dont need to worry about that, you can keep your original n/a motor.

this is what you will NEED
vl-t exhaust manifold
t03 (or better) turbo
dump-pipe
water and oil feed and return lines (4 in total)
crossover pipe (or an intercooler)
inlet pipe (if your using an air-box)

the n/a inlet manifold/plenum outflows the vl-t one.
get the vl-t computer, and injectors.

to use the vl-t computer in the r31 wiring loom you need to rewire the fuel pump to the air-regulator. theres a detailed explaination in the forums at www.r31skylineclub.com under frequently asked questions.

run from 15 (stock) down to 10 degrees ignition timing (depends on your motor), 9psi is most really without a decent cooler.

id also be looking at a clutch upgrade