Pioneers ODR system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xMplar

xMplar

xMplar

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Cars in general and Women, ALso women in cars playing with car audio and most ofg all BMWs always bemmers and women in beemers and car audio in bmws
  • State:WA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Okidoki PPL i want to know if anyone has used or had any experience with the pioneers range of OPTICAL DIGITAL REFERENCE range of speakers amps and subs and processors

Specifically the
RS D7R11 HEAD UNIT
RS A9 PROCESSER/AMP
RS A7 AMPS
RS FULL RANGE COMPONENTS USING TS T01RS TWEETS TS M01RS MIDS
TS W01RS SUBS

So if you have any thoughts on this stuff or any of the rest of this range id love to hear them as im thinking of upgrading
any horrer stories that any1 has heard are also helpful
\

Thanks ppl

Ren
xMplar

#2 icacha

icacha

Resident wanna be comedian AKA George

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

pioneer dont bring them into the country so it would be hard to get peoples thoughts unless they have privately imported them into the country themselves. not cheap.

#3 ~thematt~

~thematt~

If I think its funny, it is. If you dont, you're stupid

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Not cheap is an understatement.

The speakers are more than $5000 for the front stage, that honestly, isnt any better then their newer PRS components (at a fraction of the cost). In fact, the PRS 4" mid, is better then the TS mid.

The Headunit will set you back more then $4k, the amps (last I heard) were fetching $4.5k each. You NEED the RSA9 because it has the RS-P90 internally, otherwise you'd need to buy the RS-P90 separate. Now besides being the most powerful processor available in Car Audio, its also the most expensive at ~$4.5k.

And you'll be hard pressed to spot the difference between running the RS-D7 (now the mk III, not the II) and the P90 or the newer P99.

I did my research a few years back on this stuff, to really drill into its capabilities. Came very close to pulling the trigger too. In the end, with whats on the market nowadays, the ODR gear is redundant. Besides the $ex factor, not worth the cash.

#4 xMplar

xMplar

xMplar

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Cars in general and Women, ALso women in cars playing with car audio and most ofg all BMWs always bemmers and women in beemers and car audio in bmws

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

cheers for that matt i was looking at it as a thought to upgradfing from the P80rs i have now but after looking at the hu and processer compared to the P90 and P99 as you suggested i think they muight be worth a look

Ny only concern is will i lose any output by changeing to this type of setup over the p80 and normal amps and such

what is the benefit of changeing to the processer type deal is it more an sq thing or does it help both sq and spl

also i would love to have a bloody pause button on my deck

thanks for the help ppl

id much rather get the thoughts and opinions of the masses before i commit to that kinda moolah

Ren
xMplar

#5 ~thematt~

~thematt~

If I think its funny, it is. If you dont, you're stupid

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'd be surprised if anyone at all on here has really played with the ODR gear. You'll be hard pressed to find decent information from anyone on most other popular forum sites either.

There was some great information from Jeff (Werewolf) over at ECA, before it shut down. He did a full pull-apart-and-review of the RS-P90 from an electrical engineering viewpoint, which was very informative, but I think its gone now with the rest of the site.

Changing the processor wont help with SPL at all. Its an SQ thing, but you need to be really quite talented and knowledgeable in order to get any benefit out of it. Its not plug and play. In fact, I would go so far to say that if you are asking questions like this on this forum, you wont have the knowledge or experience to get the value out of that processor (no offense, but its a complicated piece of kit).

Those amps aren't that special either. They're almost identical internally to the PRS amplifiers that were released at around the same time, but the A9 has the RS-P90 internally fitted, with the A7 designed to be daisy-chained for extra amp channels (you cant run the A7 by itself, you need the A9). In terms of power delivery, they're just another amp.

Personally, I think for what you've described, you're looking in the wrong direction.

#6 Matt VIP

Matt VIP

Got loud yet?.....nope...

• Members
  • 4,197 posts
  • State:ACT

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

also i would love to have a bloody pause button on my deck

Ren
xMplar

Ren, see page 20 of your user manual.

"Pausing CD Playback.

1. Use multicontrol to select Pause. Pause appears in the display.
2. Press multicontrol to turn Pause on.
3. To turn pause off, press multicontrol again."

#7 Stone

Stone

3kW Power House

• Members
  • 7,259 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

I think you may need to be in the function menu before doing the above steps.

#8 xMplar

xMplar

xMplar

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

ahhh thank you obiwan i have FOUND THE PAUSE BUTTON

and yeah i agree with you about my lack of knowledge about the processors i thought i maybe able to get a bit more of the SQ type deal back ionto my system i have redone the box and amp mountings so it loads very well now and also with the upgraded battery i dont get any voltage drop so it is louder now (finally)

but i have gone to a point where it is plenty loud enuf and i want to get a bit more SQ out of it i may be pissing against the wind but i thought i might give it a go

im not really sure its not possible to have a 140db plus system and still have decent SQ for daily (i still need to do a final test on the termlab but i think its over the 140 mark by a good few DEEBEEs)

sofar its proven me wrong but im determined

Anyhoo thanks for the help guys i will see what i can do about retuning the HU to get a bit more SQ out of my system as im fed up with tryin to go loud it just keeps getting bigger and more expensive i have redone the box 4 tims now and retested and retuned who knows how many times and as for the rewire and new batterys well im just about sik of doin that aswell

cheers peeps

Ren
xMplar

#9 SQXPRT

SQXPRT

Digital is only on or off

• Members
  • 12,333 posts
  • Interests:Audio, Computers, Mobile Electronics
  • State:VIC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

ODR stuff is nice, no doubt.

I know a couple of people have the older models.. it's ok.

#10 xMplar

xMplar

xMplar

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

yeah i think i might get a p99 and do another install in another car my beemer is just getting out of hand for a daily car it still has no backseat and way too much of everything else

special suspension just to keep the arse from dragging

toooooo much numbers chasing is for the hardcore and im just tooo mellow so ill just do a SQ car and be done with it

cheers for the info guys most helpful

Ren
xMplar