#1 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

resident expert on everything

• Members
  • 8,210 posts
  • Interests:TV dinners
  • State:VIC

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

My DMM has gone AWOL. I've searched high and low and cant find it any where (the fact that I havent used it since I bought my own house and the fact my parents have since moved suggests it could be any where). It wasnt the worlds greatest DMM any way (was about $70 from tricky dickys about 8 years ago) so I'm looking to buy a new one / upgrade. I have NFI how much I should be spending. I mean I dont really need the Mercedes Benz of DMMs but a Calais would be nice.

I hardly use a multimeter these days but I would rather pay reasonable money for something that'll last than pay for something that'll just "get me by".
I do use a MM on 240VAC at times so an automotive DMM probably isnt going to be any good for me. Sure I'd love a fluke but last time I bought one for work it was about $350 bucks and I'd rather spend closer to ~$150 than $300+

So suggestions?

#2 Big_Valven

Big_Valven

Do Work Son

• Members
  • 8,729 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, electronics
  • State:SA

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

Jaycar have a good range and it's easy to get Fluke features at Calais price. (!?)

I have a "Finest" autoranging meter that has served me well and has excellent update rates, but they're not the easiest to come by in Aus anymore. (I work for the former dealer.)

Long story short, Jaycar's offerings will serve anyone who needs a decent meter occasionally, well.

#3 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

resident expert on everything

• Members
  • 8,210 posts
  • Interests:TV dinners

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Ok so I ended up with a QM1326 auto ranging DMM from Jaycar Sadly no longer stocked
Although QM1543 looks suspiciously similar only supplied with a K-type thermo couple probe and a blow moulded case (mine didnt come with a thermo couple and came with a soft padded case and from memory was about $60 cheaper...)

What im now looking to buy is a clamp meter to measure DC current. But will Jaycars QM1565 clamp meter measure DC current?
Otherwise what is an affordable clamp meter that will do DC?

#4 hsvmonarogen3

hsvmonarogen3

i own marc (x2)

• Members
  • 2,929 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

fluke. that is all.

i got a ip56 rated one. its chunky as but worth it. i can wash all the dust n crap off it. :)

Edited by hsvmonarogen3, 17 October 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#5 Callan Fraser

Callan Fraser

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

I just picked up a Klein tools clamp meter, true rms, 600a from beyond tools. $150 tho, opens up your abilities

#6 hsvmonarogen3

hsvmonarogen3

i own marc (x2)

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

also work just gave me 2x 179 fluke meters. so to add to the 85v that i also have i seem to have an excess???

#7 artuc

artuc

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

I would say ignore Fluke and the like as they're ripped off, I had/have a Protek DMM that is insanely accurate and has heaps of features.

Except that the bloody displays buggered, seems to be a dry join or issue on the ribbon cable for the LCD. If I push it or knock it in the right spot I can get it working again... sometimes.

So yeah... not so sure of that theory anymore.

I probably still won't go Fluke though for my next meter, I'm strongly leaning towards a new Amprobe DMM. Problem is I really need an IP rated meter that can take a drop, but those meters are usually HVAC and have features I don't want, are missing the ones I do and cost an arm and a leg.

#8 TMM

TMM

OEM+

• Members
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Electrical+Software Engineering, Signal Processing.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

been using a cheap digitech ($30-40) from Jaycar for the last 10 years, it's never failed me. I only do basic hobbyist stuff and no high voltage work though. Interested in getting a clamp meter for car audio curiousity, i'd have no hesitation buying another Jaycar meter, treat it well and it'll last you a long time.

Edited by TMM, 19 May 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#9 hsvmonarogen3

hsvmonarogen3

i own marc (x2)

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

fluke do a ip rated dmm. ;)
just go fluke. you may pay a little more, but it works. never mind the fact that i have about 8 meters.

#10 HERTZ-1

HERTZ-1

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gareth. I love SQ. Simple.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod97.htm

ABW 70617
One of the most used DMMs among mechanics. I've had mine for 6 years and its still bloody awesome.

#11 TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

I would say ignore Fluke and the like as they're ripped off,...

Depends what you use it for.. I have a $1200 Fluke multimeter and after 5 years of daily trade use, it was still dead accurate. The calibration certificate showed that the meter needed no actual calibration whatsoever, same for my Fluke clamp meter.
You get what you pay for.......

I am an electrician by trade though, so when I need a tool to trust my life with, I won't go less than Fluke.

#12 hsvmonarogen3

hsvmonarogen3

i own marc (x2)

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

^ what he said

#13 TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Oh, and for a good, cheap meter, check out the eevblog.

http://www.eevblog.c...ni-t-part-1of2/
http://www.eevblog.c...ni-t-part-2of2/

http://www.eevblog.c...meter-shootout/