36 replies to this topic

#1 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

I was searching around the net the other day for any additional MLV options locally, when I came across Solavis, who seem to do a couple of interesting sound deadening/proofing products:

Mass Loaded Vinyl - http://solavis.com.a...oaded-vinyl.htm

Super Shield - http://solavis.com.a...supershield.htm

After looking at the information on both products I was quite intrigued by the Super Shield stuff and comparing it to Dynamat. Looking at the specs and pics Solavis provide compared to the specs of Dynamat Extreme (http://www.dynamat.c...mat_xtreme.html), Super Shield and Dynamat Extreme both seem extremely similiar, if not suspiciously similiar. The looks, specs and size are all almost the same, if not in favour of Super Shield. The main difference is the price with Super Shield being $150 for bulk pack size quantities before postage which I think is $20 Aus wide. To me thats not bad for something that appears near on the same as Dynamat.

The Mass Loaded Vinyl is also quite interesting and cheap at $120 for a 6m2 roll, with a high density too. There don't appear to be any specs on this stuff at this stage, but the website is only new and under construction still apparently. Might enquire directly with them to get some more details. This stuff might be a good alternative to the Thermotec MLV, which seems the best current option.

Any opinions or experience with these products or company?

#2 2LOUD2OLD

2LOUD2OLD

3kW Power House

• Moderators
  • 3,513 posts
  • State:ACT

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

looks interesting

though even more interesting is their picture on the ebay ad is actually a picture of dynamat lol
http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#3 Luke - Peaandham

Luke - Peaandham

I'm John Wayne Pilgrims.

• Moderators
  • 6,144 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Look you can pay the $150 for something that isn't guaranteed to work or pay the extra and get something you know WILL Stick and WILL stay on there for years to come.

A proven alternative is to strip the car of carpet seats, and trims lay a sheet of Closed Cell Foam on the floor and cover it with Mass Loaded Vinyl (similar to the stuff in your link above). With that said this is really only for blocking road noise out.

#4 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

looks interesting

though even more interesting is their picture on the ebay ad is actually a picture of dynamat lol
http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

lol, I didn't even notice the dynamat in the corner of that pic. I did notice how the other pics look exactly like dynamat without the branding though.

Look you can pay the $150 for something that isn't guaranteed to work or pay the extra and get something you know WILL Stick and WILL stay on there for years to come.

A proven alternative is to strip the car of carpet seats, and trims lay a sheet of Closed Cell Foam on the floor and cover it with Mass Loaded Vinyl (similar to the stuff in your link above). With that said this is really only for blocking road noise out.

Yes, at least until a few days ago, if not still now, I totally agree with what you've said, but here's my reasoning for starting this thread.

I've been on the forums long enough to have seen quite a few threads similiar to this one I've created. I've also done enough research on here and other places to already know that I'll be following the path you mentioned of dampening material for vibrations, followed by CCF and MLV in specific areas for actual 'sound proofing'. And to date the dampening material I have used is Dynamat, so I agree and have/will be following exactly what you have mentioned.

However, I came across this company in my search for a suitable MLV product in the first place and the main reason I started this thread was that the other Super Shield product (which I wasn't even looking for) was, on paper at least, so similiar to Dynamat at a lower cost. Which I think is more than can be said for most other Dynamat 'alternatives'. Also since I had only seen a single mention of this product on these forums, and it looks new anyway, I figured I would share this find and start a hopefully useful discussion, as eventually there is likely to be a product at least as good as if not better than Dynamat. I assume Dynamat isn't going to be the be all and end all of dampening for ever? :) Also, it may just be me, but I'm a little suspicious that this product isn't actually Dynamat without the branding.

Don't take any of this as an objection to your statement, and as I said I agree with you, but I still think this thread has a potential valid use.

#5 Langas

Langas

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

I'd be grabbing a small quantity of the Super Shield and comparing it with Dynamat - In terms of thickness, workability and stickiness.

Someones got to try it and keep us posted on how well it stays stuck :)

#6 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

I'd be grabbing a small quantity of the Super Shield and comparing it with Dynamat - In terms of thickness, workability and stickiness.

Someones got to try it and keep us posted on how well it stays stuck Posted Image

I need some more Dynamat at some stage anyway, so I might try some of this stuff just to see what its like. If it does what they say, I can't see why it shouldn't be as good as Dynamat. Which reminds me - I should get around to starting a build log on sound deadening/proofing my VE Commodore :)

#7 SQXPRT

SQXPRT

Digital is only on or off

• Members
  • 12,295 posts
  • Interests:Audio, Computers, Mobile Electronics
  • State:VIC

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

There's about 4 brands around which appear remarkable similar to dynamat branded deadener.

They're all much the same, but I found the Dynamat has somewhat tighter quality control over thickness of the butyl layer.

Stinger has a thicker foil layer than dynamat, and there's a few others the same as that too.

The new Stinger pricing is comparable to dynamat.

#8 hardyards

hardyards

1500 - 3000w RMS

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

I have also been considering the Solavis products.

According to their specs they match up with Dynamat in the 3 areas I would consider important:

- Mass and Density
- Thickness
- Adhesive Peel Strength

Also, even though my sound deadening will never be seen once the car is back together I do like the fact that it doesn't have any branding on it.

#9 Big_Valven

Big_Valven

Do Work Son

• Members
  • 8,729 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, electronics

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

I think that if you're going all-out and doing sound deadening properly, mass adding mat doesn't actually play a huge part. Necessary, yes, but perhaps not predominant. Focus attention on putting it in properly, whatever you buy, and you'd be set.

#10 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

I think that if you're going all-out and doing sound deadening properly, mass adding mat doesn't actually play a huge part. Necessary, yes, but perhaps not predominant. Focus attention on putting it in properly, whatever you buy, and you'd be set.

I understand what you're saying, but I figure it's always good to have some alternative options for when it is necessary, particularly given everyone has different budgets (and ideas on 'proper' sound deadening/proofing Posted Image ).

Do you think their MLV product would be similiar to Thermotec and the like? Unfortunately they don't have much technical information up on this product yet though.

#11 Big_Valven

Big_Valven

Do Work Son

• Members
  • 8,729 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, electronics

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

I think if they're butyl, foil backed, and self adhesive, there is VERY little to differentiate them apart from kg/m^2. Thickness is unimportant - mass is.

Similar story with MLV - mass. Decoupling layers are nice especially if they're suitable for inside a car (heat, moisture.) Otherwise you have to attach your own.

#12 Tiger

Tiger

BASS BATTLE: Life begins at 160dB

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well... I got 2 packs of this stuff... if it's good... I'll buy more to use :D

#13 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Let us know how it goes, I got as far as getting some samples of their stuff, including the MLV, but that was it :)

#14 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

With respects to application of this product, I don't believe it would be any easier/harder to apply than Dynamat Extreme. It'd be almost identical, I believe.

Abou it "falling off" like the Option Audio Silent Armor is apparentluy suppose to, who knows.... won't know that till I try it out. As well as it's acoustical nature in cabin.

I'll be back shortly enough :)

#15 D34M0N.inc

D34M0N.inc

Team.inc

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio and Computer Tech :)

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yeh keep us up to date, with 6 12's hitting a thin no bracing 3mm thick max roof the noises it makes are beyond the joke. But dynamat is a bit expensive so a good alternative for less would fit right in with me :)

#16 D34M0N.inc

D34M0N.inc

Team.inc

• Members
  • 2,509 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio and Computer Tech :)

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

The link didn't work but this one does.

http://www.solavis.c...ss-loaded-vinyl

http://www.solavis.c...uct/supershield

#17 Inspiron

Inspiron

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Tiger, please keep us informed on how this product fairs against Dynamat/Stinger.

I'm a couple of suburbs away from the Solvaris warehouse, so if it gets your blessings, I might just have to pop in and grab a box for myself.

Also, if you'd like some pics of a previous install using this product, refer to the below link:

http://forums.justco...dening-how.html

#18 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

^^^ That's James from SA. He swears by it. It hasn't fallen off from him.

My main test point is on the side panels. On a flat surface, you'll have no drama... but on a door or on a side guard, I wanna see for myself it's gonna stick or not.. if it does... you'll see another 3 boxes in my driveway. ;)

Thinking about it today (plus added discussion with some other folk), it won't be better than Dynamat... it'll most likely be identical in application. I'd say they'd perform the same... just you're paying alot less for the Solavis.

I'll post up by the end of the week.

Edited by Tiger, 03 January 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#19 Arctic Alto

Arctic Alto

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

I was going to buy the solaris stuff to do my roof, even they said themselves its not ideal to do the roof.
But if your doing walls & floor its good

#20 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yeah?

Posted Image

Looks alright to me....

I'll let you know how I go with it. I'm doing roof to floor with this stuff, and anywhere between 4 to 8L of brush-on deadener... so, we'll see how it comes up after. :)

dual layers on the roof, I'd say no to. Single layer and rolled in hard enough, should keep it up there.. but I'll been keen to observe it's adhesive strength in general.

#21 Inspiron

Inspiron

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

^^^ That's James from SA. He swears by it. It hasn't fallen off from him.

Ahh I didn't know.

Thinking about it today (plus added discussion with some other folk), it won't be better than Dynamat... it'll most likely be identical in application. I'd say they'd perform the same... just you're paying alot less for the Solavis.

How much did the Solvaris set you back? Did you purchase it from the warehouse located in Broady?

#22 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

It's based in Campbellfield. Just off Sydney Road (or Cooper Street... depending which way you are coming from)

It cost me $298 for both packs to be precise.

Purchased from eBay and I organised a pick up arrangement. And being that I'm in Mill Park, they didn't hesitate on the pick up.

#23 Daedalus

Daedalus

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

can someone post the ebay link to the solavis stuff? I couldnt find it

what do people think of the "Carbuilder" brand?
http://www.ebay.com....#ht_5658wt_1163

its slightly cheaper than bulk dynamat (per square meter), however it is less dense than dynamat
http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2241wt_1139

#24 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

link is here for the Solavis Supershield.

Carbuilder's stuff I heard wasn't all that crash hot. Doesn't stick to the sidewalls of the car.

#25 Daz

Daz

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Vanning, cars, Music and all rellated stuff.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

3 weeks ago i got the carbuilders stuff and applied to the roof of the van and it was very tacky and and stuck as easy as dynanat but time will tell if it stays there or not as in tapping on the panels that are done in dynamat and the carbuilders product so close its not funny
i did use the roller and the guy from car builder dropped it off himself ( i thank him very much for that ) so i tried yesterday to pull some off to see how its holding on and its staying there its to hard to remove and this was while the roof was in the sun all day
so i am hopping its ok for a long time, just trying to decide wheather or not to go with stinger, dynamat, carbuilders or qmat for the whole floor in it???

my opinion only so far carbuilders is ok, but known brands can be a safer option

#26 Daz

Daz

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Attached File  IMG_8711.JPG   547.91KB   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_8787.JPG   521.65KB   2 downloads
Attached File  IMG_8784.JPG   529.42KB   2 downloads
sat the van in the sun all day yesturday and tried to see if the car builders stuff would come off but not yet, tried to peel it and it is
stuck fast for now

Edited by Daz, 17 January 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#27 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

There you go.. that's a different opinion altogether.

Cheers for that.

#28 Daz

Daz

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

well time will tel hey, i hope it does work out to be good and stay there as it will be so hard to replace

#29 Daedalus

Daedalus

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

link is here for the Solavis Supershield.

Carbuilder's stuff I heard wasn't all that crash hot. Doesn't stick to the sidewalls of the car.

thanks. thats much cheaper than dynamat even imported from the US! has anyone tried Solavis? is it any good?

#30 Daedalus

Daedalus

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

I found another 2 brands,

dbkill
http://www.ebay.com....5#ht_2436wt_905

RAAMmat
http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1201wt_1396