#1 mihai

mihai

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hey guys,

Just after some quick advice in regards to installing a sub + amp in a VE SV6.

I will be using a LOC connected to the rear speaker inputs to get my RCA's that will go to the amp in the boot.

If I'm correct, I will be accessing the rear speaker wires from the bottom of the B pillars in the car using the following cable colours:
Right Rear + = Dark Blue
Right Rear - = Light Blue
Left Rear + = Brown
Left Rear - = Yellow with Red trace

Are the above correct?

Also, in regards to the amp remote wire, where should I connect that? Initially my thought was to connect it to the cigarette lighter but I read something about it causing problems with the CANBUS or something? Also read to connect it to an unused white plug (brown/yellow cable) on the drivers side of the centre console. Finally I also read to wire it to the handsfree plug behind the glove box. A brown cable in that plug. However, my mates car has bluetooth handsfree from factory, so I'm assuming that that plug is in use. I don't want to connect the remote to that plug and have the handsfree not work properly, he uses it alot.

Thanks in advance.

#2 mihai

mihai

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Bump. Surely someone must know something about this?

I've tried searching and can't find anything in regard to the remote wire.

#3 shiny_car

shiny_car

Posts too much

• Moderators
  • 41,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

I don't know the wiring colours, but you can do simple testing:
*take note of which speaker terminal is + (eg: the terminal that the dark blue wire connects to on the RR speaker)
*use some spare/scrap speakerwire and a basic AA/C size battery
*connect the battery, using the speakerwire, to the speaker, ensuring the battery + terminal connects to the speaker + terminal
*if the polarity is correct, then you'll see the cone 'pop outwards' (and stay out, until you disconnect the battery); if it 'pops inwards' you've got the polarity wrong

Correlate your findings with the factory speakerwires. Note, it does no damage to the speakers; there's nowhere near enough power from a battery like this to overheat/fry the voicecoil; it merely connects a DC power feed to the VC, creating a magnetic field that moves the cone outwards.

I also don't know the answer to the cig powerwire question, however, it would surprise me if it triggered a CANBUS error. By utilising the powerwire to turn on an amplifier, how is that different to utilising the cig socket to power say a GPS unit or iPod FM modulator? Unless you can't use the cig socket for anything but the cig lighter!

:)

#4 mihai

mihai

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the reply shiny_car.

Will test the speaker wires with the battery. In regard to the remote wire, the cigarette lighter socket was my initial thought for connection, and I may still use it. Just wanted to double check if what I read on another site was correct or if someone else had a better place to connect the remote wire to.

#5 shiny_car

shiny_car

Posts too much

• Moderators
  • 41,039 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Did you happen to buy the amp/sub from a local retailer (as opposed to secondhand or ebay/overseas)? Cos you could give them a call to help you out regarding the ignition/remote wire.

:)