#1 RHI-SEE

RHI-SEE

It's Rainin' Sidewayss

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Gday All.

As Suggested, im after peoples idea's/ opinions on Security Cameras.

I only Require 1 camera, but if there is some form of a package for more than 1, then it doesnt matter.

The 1 camera is require is to put down the side of my house, to watch my new jetski. Apparently there have been a few thefts in the area.

In The current d*** smith catalogue there is a Swann Camera package that is 1 motion activated camera with 5m Night Vision.
http://swann.com/s/p...ew/?product=615

It says It can store 250 videos of 10 sec length. Does this mean it will continually record, but just break the files up. Or once motion is detected, it will record 10 seconds and that is it?

This is for sale for $199 until 23rd January. Does this look like a descent setup? In the opinions of anybody who knows anything about this sort of stuff.

Im tossing up between that single camera, or a 4 camera package with harddrive.

http://swann.com/s/p...w/?product=1219

Opinions appreciated on brands/ styles.

Cheers

Reece

#2 SQXPRT

SQXPRT

Digital is only on or off

• Members
  • 12,333 posts
  • Interests:Audio, Computers, Mobile Electronics
  • State:VIC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

The motion detector ones will only record while there is movement.
I'm not sure if the quality of the video would be sufficient for "evidence", as it's only 400 lines or so, and not a lot of resolution.
and $199 is way too dear... I've seen them for around $100 on special.

To be honest, the swann stuff is well packaged, but not top performance for the price,
i.e. only 480 TV lines is not really too clear a picture, even standard PAL (analogue TV) is supposed to be 625 lines.

If you're serious about recording the video for "later use", you could try a local security gear company.. They have good solutions, and can usually do better pricing.

#3 arrow224

arrow224

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Computers, portable technology, home theatre, audio

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

The one you linked runs on the 2.4GHZ frequency, which is also populated by (but not limited to) wireless networks, garage door remotes, game console controllers, microwaves (when on), and certain older cordless phones.

This interference will manifest itself in (most commonly) wobbly picture, or lines through the picture.

I would be looking at getting either a wired system, or an IP camera that connects to your wireless network ,then you can use your computer to watch and record.

#4 barcode

barcode

1500 - 3000w RMS

• Members
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

http://www.ozspy.com.au/default.asp give those guys a look they will have what your after

#5 RHI-SEE

RHI-SEE

It's Rainin' Sidewayss

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

After doing more research. I have most definitly turfed the idea of the first one i linked.

I am currently still looking at the 4 camera Swann package, and Also as a 2 camera package with a DVR but the Camera's are Samsung 600TVL cameras. I am waiting on them coming back to me with a price.

I am going to see what old CCTV cameras We have laying around at work and see if i can get them to work. I just have to fine one that isnt running Fibre otherwise i then have to hunt down a media converter aswell

http://www.ozspy.com.au/default.asp give those guys a look they will have what your after

http://www.ozspy.com...-Remote-Access/
This is one of the ones I am looking at.

#6 shizzle

shizzle

Fo' shizzle Dr Jizzle

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Just a left field idea, but wouldn't you be better off actually protecting the jetski with anti-theft devices? Things like wheel locks, chains to a pole, or the like?
Having footage of someone stealing the jetski could be useful, but are no gaurantee it will save it in the long run, or that you will find the thieves if it is stolen.

#7 RHI-SEE

RHI-SEE

It's Rainin' Sidewayss

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

the trailer already has a lock on the gooseneck, chained to a pole and behind a gate with a padlock. All locks are Stainless steel
If somebody really wants to get it, they will get it. This is just another measure.

#8 fuddbutter

fuddbutter

Needs to Harden the f*** up!

• Members
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

What kinda locks?

Secure it properly, and the amount of time and noise needed to get the ski will be to high.

#9 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

resident expert on everything

• Members
  • 8,210 posts
  • Interests:TV dinners

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

We looked at security cameras for work as we kept having stuff knocked off from our yard. I'm talking stuff you would need a crane truck to steal.

But to get CCTV cameras that were good enough to identify a person or read a number plate we were going to have to spend big bucks
Instead we got big f*** off gates made and nothing is being stolen since.

#10 RHI-SEE

RHI-SEE

It's Rainin' Sidewayss

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

IVe Got Stainless Steel Master locks.

Ive been looking at heading down to the security mob up the road to have a chat.

As said tho, something is better than nothing.

#11 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

insurance

#12 fuddbutter

fuddbutter

• Members
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

Masters lock range is pretty big.. i have some of their Pro-Series, they are pretty good, Boron Alloy shackle, wont get through them with bolt cutters.

#13 Captn_Awesome

Captn_Awesome

• Members
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

not even enerpac powered bolt cutters?

#14 fuddbutter

fuddbutter

• Members
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

yeah that might be a different story, but it would probably be cheaper to just go buy a jet ski..

but then again, if you plan on stealing heaps it may be a good investment haha.

oh, i was going to say, if you have SS shackles on the master locks, they are fairly useless for security

but hey, they wont rust :)

if you want some quality gear, hit me up and ill see what i can get.
also, i could prob point you in the way of some good CCTV gear.

#15 artuc

artuc

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

You still looking into this RHI-SEE ?

The ozspy package seems pretty expensive at $880 for a 4ch DVR and 2 rebranded bullet cameras from some OEM probably based in Korea/Taiwan.

Could get Samsung, LG, Bosch, Pacom etc. gear for that or less, let alone the far cheaper ebay cameras, although you do get what you pay for.

#16 cbhattarai

cbhattarai

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

It is better you go with an IP Camera with low budget and have a better DVR card..

Thank You