Photo

Readily available bogs/fillers for use after glassing/resining?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Winno

Winno

hear. more.

• Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm about to lay up my last layer of glass on my pods.
Before moving on to spray putty and painting things for final finish, I'll obviously need to bog the glass and sand it back to a smooth finish.

My question is, apart from two pack 'Bondo', what alternatives would be available?
And, should I be looking for something that sets rock solid, or with a little flexibility instead?

Basically, what does everyone use that works?

I don't mind sourcing from either Bunnings, or a panel beaters suppliers place if automotive fillers tend to be the preferred option for people.

Thanks all.

Edited by Winno, 07 April 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#2 Luke - Peaandham

Luke - Peaandham

I'm John Wayne Pilgrims.

• Members
  • 6,660 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Builders bog, flexible putty anything like that will work. You can use Gyprock Joint Filler which is what I have used but I prefer to use a 2 pack bog because it sets harder and quicker than ordinary fillers. U Pol make some nice ones if you can source someone who stocks the brand, Evercoat is also an alternative, a little bit easier to sand but comes more expensive, otherwise your local Autobarn will stock Motospray fillers.

#3 JohnDB

JohnDB

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:Family, Club motor sport, Car Audio, Photography, (have given up on golf).
  • State:WA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

some pics would be nice, curious to know how difficult pods are to make?

#4 MTX Andrew

MTX Andrew

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • State:VIC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Rage gold..

#5 268669♫

268669♫

expert in my own lunchbox

• Members
  • 2,679 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

If you want to work quick and fill big imperfections, then turbo builders bog from bunnings is a good bet. Its 2 part though. After that any spray putty will fill the little holes etc.

Ant

#6 Winno

Winno

hear. more.

• Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Cheers lads.
I don't mind a two part mix up. If it's easy enough to use, sets fairly quickly without loosing workability too soon, and is easy enough to sand, I'll have a go with it.

Some people have said that it's better to sand some of these fillers before they're fully hardened. Apparently it makes for a quicker job and a better finish?

Edited by Winno, 08 April 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#7 Luke - Peaandham

Luke - Peaandham

I'm John Wayne Pilgrims.

• Members
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Some people have said that it's better to sand some of these fillers before they're fully hardened. Apparently it makes for a quicker job and a better finish?

Best thing for that would be a rasp set, it helps shape the filler while its still drying, they sort of look like a cheese grater.

Turbo Builders bog is a great product because it doesn't run and once its dry its still very easy to sand before it cures, down side is the price.. However if you after something to slap on and sand away to help create a shape then as I mentioned before U Pol or Evercoat make great fillers.

#8 MrAddo

MrAddo

Resident Hillbilly

• Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Best thing for that would be a rasp set, it helps shape the filler while its still drying, they sort of look like a cheese grater.

Turbo Builders bog is a great product because it doesn't run and once its dry its still very easy to sand before it cures, down side is the price.. However if you after something to slap on and sand away to help create a shape then as I mentioned before U Pol or Evercoat make great fillers.

+1 on the rasp. I used 3M glass fibre reinforced body filler on my sub enclosure. Used a rasp to get rid of the big rough areas and get the basic shape and then sanded smooth once it was set a bit more but BEFORE it sets too hard. This stuff sets like concrete!

#9 KGB

KGB

3kW Power House

• Members
  • 5,012 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

some pics would be nice, curious to know how difficult pods are to make?

Have a look through the tutorials section...