13 replies to this topic

#1 Luke352

Luke352

1500 - 3000w RMS

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

So it appears Eric Stevens (Founder of ID) has decided to pull out of Image Dyanamics after recent disagreements with the partner he bought on in recent years.

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/

http://www.diymobile...e-dynamics.html

#2 mad89

mad89

perfection takes time

• Members
  • 7,948 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio...?
  • State:NSW

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

*sigh*

Another sad day for the industry...

:(

#3 atmo

atmo

Touch me I'm sick

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:10.5%
  • State:VIC

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

I don't know the full story behind how and why he's left, so I won't comment on that.

I do wonder why he's taken the site/forums down though. Putting a note on the home page saying goodbye is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, but I don't see what he has to gain by removing the forums and information about the products (which the distributors, retailers and customers often need quick access to).

#4 sean

sean

MetalManiac

• Members
  • 2,529 posts
  • Interests:Metalwork/fabrication, bespoke items, high end audio :)

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

Says on the site

Content copyright 2011. Eric Stevens. All rights reserved.

So I guess the site is in his name, he can do as he wishes...

#5 Fhrx

Fhrx

1500 - 3000w RMS

• Members
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

I too thought it was a little strange; it's almost as if the site has been hacked. Hopefully Eric will see fit to leave a 'legacy website' as it were, with all the tech sheets etc still available.

I agree with Rick though; it's quite a sad day for the industry. :(

Edited by Fhrx, 19 March 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#6 Tiger

Tiger

DC Garage's mad MDF scientest

• Members
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Not cool at al :(

#7 Damon

Damon

3kW Power House

• Members
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Please pardon my ignorance of this particular company and someone by all means correct me if I'm wrong but, err, have they changed any of the products in the past, like, ten years? I was under the impression that ID was very much like Dynaudio in that they finalized they designed, realized that they were all very good, and simply left them as they were. It is not as if they are in peril of not having new products out next year now is it? Seems to me ID could exist as it is for years to come.

#8 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

I saw this posted on their facebook page (which is odd):

at this time both Eric stevens and Matt BORGARDT are no longer with the comany, we will up date soon. posted by Matt BORGARDT

If he's an ex employee, why would he still have access to the ID Facebook page, but anyway....

#9 Marc

Marc

V • MEDIA

• Admin
  • 19,041 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

Please pardon my ignorance of this particular company and someone by all means correct me if I'm wrong but, err, have they changed any of the products in the past, like, ten years? I was under the impression that ID was very much like Dynaudio in that they finalized they designed, realized that they were all very good, and simply left them as they were. It is not as if they are in peril of not having new products out next year now is it? Seems to me ID could exist as it is for years to come.

I would agree with you here, regarding the parallel drawn with Dynaudio - once you have a good thing, stick with it. However, we don't know what's gone down and the differing in opinion / direction may have nothing to do with product at all. It may be a business conflict, entitlements, who really knows. Then again, it may be that in contrast to what you have noted about their products, one wanted to move production and design to China and one didn't. Who really knows?

It is sad to see though. ID have had a successful and loyal following of fans from around the world for as long as I have been in this industry. Let's hope they sort it out without airing too much dirty laundry :)

#10 Luke352

Luke352

1500 - 3000w RMS

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

As I understood it Eric was the founder and main designer of all there products, and it appears in 2006 Eric decided to bring in someone with some money which was about when they started designing the newer IDQ's and updating speaker lines and looking into amps so this is no doubt why this partner was bought on board to help finance these expansions/new product development.

But from what Eric has written he and his business partner have had some disagreements and as a result Eric was trying to buy him out which was going well until just recently when negotiations fell apart.

As for the business I'm sure it would continue to run but the question is who owns the technology/knowledge rights or whatever they call them, it may be that ID would not be able to continue with some of the same products if Eric chose not to sell those knowledge rights.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds, word is as well that most of the staff have chosen to leave and go with Eric.

#11 Tiger

Tiger

• Members
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds, word is as well that most of the staff have chosen to leave and go with Eric.

Hmmm...do I sense a "newer" and/or "improved" brand of audio to spawn from this?

(shrugs)

Who knows.

#12 Langas

Langas

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 727 posts
  • State:SA

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Does that mean all our Image Dynamics gear just jumped in value by atleast 20% ??

I think so :D

#13 TEGBOY

TEGBOY

TEGBOY

• Members
  • 7,216 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Also Matt Borgardt has left ID aswell.. Sad, sad day.

On a positive note Eric is looking at a new venture. Great news I say.

Edited by TEGBOY, 20 March 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#14 Marc

Marc

V • MEDIA

• Admin
  • 19,041 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

A further update to this - as per: http://www.mobileele...mics_continues/

Image Dynamics, founded in 1993 under the leadership of Eric Stevens, built a solid reputation as an innovative developer and manufacturer of quality car audio speakers. As we reported on the 24th March, Stevens and Matt Borgardt left the company casting uncertainty as to the brands future. According to an article on 12VoltNews.com, Image Dynamics as a company will continue the dedication to marketing products that perform at the highest level while providing exceptional customer service and support. In-house manufacturing will continue on schedule, orders will be processed and shipped in a timely manner and technical support will continue to be a hallmark.

After Eric Stevens took the original Image Dynamics website down leaving only a parting message, Image Dynamics current management has registered and setup www.imagedynamicsusa.net which will slowly come back online with all previous information.

While it is positive news to hear Image Dynamics has assured us of it's existence at least into the short term future, what's possibly more exciting is just what Eric Stevens and Matt Borgardt might have in the works? Time will tell.

Image Dynamics is distributed in Australia by Mobile Audio Solutions.