10 replies to this topic

#1 gforce100

gforce100

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • State:NSW

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

Well.... no doubt that most of you have already heard of FHRX or dealt with them in one way or another. If not, then maybe this might be of interest to you.

I found out about FHRX through this forum and I'd like to take a few minutes to talk about my recent experience with them. So, if you have some time to kill and don't mind the ramblings of some bored guy behind a computer keyboard, read on.

Short History
Let me start by saying that my gear isn't be the best stuff out there. But, it suits my personal taste and I didn't want to shell out several thousand more on new stuff. So, taking a rather thrifty approach, I've been recycling the same gear for a while now - some items are up to 10 years old. I first had them installed in my Subaru Impreza back in 2000, then they were moved into an Alfa Romeo 156, then into a Honda Prelude and now into a Subaru Impreza again.

Much like the experiences had by many on this forum, the previous installations were less than impressive. Prior to FHRX, the best installation was performed by a friend of mine in my first Subaru. The Alfa and Prelude installations were done by the usual "big player" suspects and even with my limited knowledge of car audio their poor workmanship was clear.

The Mission
Having acquired a 2006 Subaru WRX Wagon, I wanted to install my existing gear into it and for this to be their final resting place. But this time, I wanted a quality installation. I didn't want to see exposed cables. I didn't want the component set crossover box to be falling on the accelerator while driving. I didn't want my rear speakers distorting once I passed 50% of max volume. And seriously, when I pay for sound deadening, I want it to be done properly.

So I started my search. After a short while I stumbled across MEA and then FHRX..... that's when I spoke to Marty and all this begins.

The Job
Aside from the installation of system components including front splits, rear sets, 2 amps, 2 subs and a head unit, I threw in a few curly ones to see if the team at FHRX are as good as people claim them to be. This included:

• Installation of a Forester DIN Pocket (with cover)
  • Installation of Foot well LED lighting
  • Installation of under door courtesy LED strip lighting
… and I didn't stop there.... I threw in some body work too:

• Installation of a Front Lip
  • Removal of a ding on the driver side door
None of this bothered them. They took this in their stride and the results were amazing (see attached images).

Sound Advice
I'm one of those really annoying customers. I carry on and talk a lot. I have my own thoughts as to what I think is best and given the failed efforts of previous installers I do not feel comfortable just "leaving it to the experts". Well, I can say that I've eaten a lot of humble pie this time around – here’s one example.

Introduction of DSP courtesy of the Audison Bitone: The Pioneer head unit I'm using is pretty damn good for my tastes - or so I thought. Amongst a range of audio controls, it has a 13 band graphic EQ and some time delay functionality. Pretty good, yeah? I was certain that I didn't need a processor let alone the cost associated with it.

.... time to serve up a bit of that humble pie.

Regardless of how I tuned the HU, there's no way it can match what the Bitone brings to the party. A sense of sound depth, staging and imaging I've never before experienced in car audio taking it to another level.

But doesn't this speak more to the efficacy of the Bitone than the crew at FHRX? .... Not at all.

You see, Marty took the time to learn and understand what I was trying to achieve. He understood what the final product needed to look like if I was going to walk away a happy customer given the equipment and budget constraints presented to him. More importantly however, he also understood my lack of knowledge. So, he spent the time to educate me on the finer points of car audio and what was needed in order to achieve the results I was looking for and despite my resistance he continued to make recommendations that were contrary to what I believed to be the best way to go.

The old adage "The customer is always right" couldn't be further from the truth in this case. I followed their advice and the results speak for themselves. Needless to say, Marty and the guys at FHRX really know their stuff.

But this is not only about the advice they give, it's also about the complete service they provide. Sure, they could have sold me the Bitone, handed the controls over and wished me well, but the FHRX crew gave me a finely tuned finished product delivering exactly what I was looking for - a real "turn key" solution.

If you simply want to have your gear installed then I suspect that anyone can do that to varying degrees of quality. But if you're after the highest quality and standards in all aspects of workmanship, then the guys at FHRX is where you want to go.

That little bit more
I'm an IT nerd and customer service is always the most difficult part of the job, especially when you have difficult and demanding customers like me. I'll be honest here and admit that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I've done all sorts of things to cure myself of this problem but I've still a way to go. As I looked through these forums and the images of the work done by the FHRX team, it would seem that these guys are perfectionists too - perhaps bordering on some form of obsessive disorder. The looming, the cable runs, the driver mounting, all of which would indicate a high level of care, diligence and pride taken in their work. But so what? Just because they took such care for those installations, who's to say they'll do the same for mine?

... gotta say, I'm really hating the taste of that pie right now.....

The images posted in the MEA forum aren't one offs or showcases. Photos taken during my installation show the same level of high standards throughout. Hell, you can even find some of them in the “Random Install Images from March - April 2011" thread!! Personally, I couldn't be happier.

Having surpassed my expectations already, they took it one step further. Unfortunately, my sub amp wasn't working when I delivered it to the FHRX workshop. Busted output transistors apparently (whatever they are). Most installers would have likely done the install minus the sub amp leaving me with an unfinished product.

Not FHRX.

Aside from their willingness to meet at rather odd times due to my work commitments and travel time, the FHRX team took the opportunity go that little bit further. They willingly provided me with a loan amp until my unit was repaired!! Now, I'm not suggesting for a moment that FHRX will do this for all customers, but I am confident that, if they can, the FRHX team will go that extra mile for you.

The End Result
Being very familiar with the system and having heard it perform in a range of different vehicles, I can say that without a shadow of a doubt, it has never sounded this good!!! There are many elements that contribute to this so I'll do my best to describe just a few. (Please note, I’m not an audiophile so my terminology may be a little...... special).

Thickness: That's the best way I can describe it. The sound reproduction seems thicker and more solid. I'd hazard a guess and say it's due to the sound deadening, but it may also be due to the way the drivers have been mounted... or a combination of both?? Whatever the reason, the end result is plainly obvious. Historically I've never felt confident in the sound being produced. It felt like the drivers were being pushed too hard to deliver the sound I was looking for and never had any mid bass strength. Now, I get the feeling that it's effortless and is par for the course. The system feel like it's got more to give.

Dynamics: Loud vs Soft, harsh vs gentle. The change along those continuums was never before delivered with such precision. Almost as though the system could only deliver one or the other. Now, I'd liken the system to an opera singer. It has the ability to belt out mammoth power one moment, and in the next, deliver soft, subtle tones leaving you wanting more. This dynamic range really takes the audio experience to new places for me.

Power & Clarity: This is an easy one. It’s simply sounds cleaner and more powerful. No doubt this is due to the quality of the install and tuning amongst many other things. Just brilliant.

Flexibility: Having already discussed the benefits of the Bitone including the staging and imaging it brings, I won’t explore that much further. Suffice to say that you'll only truly know how good it is when you try it. However, something worth mentioning is the ability to change your environment using the Bitone "profiles" function. Personally, I love listening to club/dance/progressive. However, I do have classical training behind me so it's not unusual to find me listening to Mozart, Bach or even Beethoven from time to time. The "profile" function allows me to tune the system to suit different genres of music and store those settings in a profile. This functionality introduces a level of flexibility not easily achievable previously and certainly not to the same degree of detail. I recall the days of having to spend ages modifying the EQ and high pass filters to suit the genre of music I wanted to listen to, and there was no way I could do that while driving without running up someone’s rear!

Now, this can all be done by pressing one button, and with that, the entire system takes on what I can best describe as a new personality.

Final Words
My installation wasn't anything exciting. Other than the Bitone, the equipment wasn't new and there wasn't any sort of competition or fancy presentation requirements. It was a boring, bare knuckle installation and from my point of view there was nothing really motivational for the FHRX crew.

But this didn't bother them.

They approached this installation with all of the professionalism and care demonstrated in all of their previous work. Clearly, the delivery of an exceptional car audio experience and the highest levels of installation standards take top priority at FHRX Studios. And, as a customer, this is what I value most.

In an industry where competition is driven so heavily by price, it's no wonder that it's rife with corner-cutting, shoddy workmanship, crappy sounding systems and ultimately unhappy customers.

Marty and the rest of the FHRX team don't play this game. They know that good business is to do things right - to maintain high workmanship standards and deliver on the customer's expectations... and anything less is simply unacceptable.

Now that I’ve been bitten by the bug, I’m looking for ways to further improve the system.... perhaps an upgrade of the rear drivers? Or maybe upgrade the front splits??? .... I don’t know..... but I don’t need to.... I guess I’m now comfortable leaving it to the experts at FHRX.

Some install and finished images are attached - and you can also find a couple more of them in the March / April Random Install images.

Attached Files

#2 shaky

shaky

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:Breathing * Blinking * Scratching myself * Music
  • State:VIC

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

Nice writeup! Not had install dealings with marty and FHRX but have purchased stuff off him and he is only too willing to help.

Perhaps a new section in the forum needs to be started for testimonials of how good the supporting businesses are!

Cheers,

shaky

#3 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

+1 on the awesome writeup!

Even just with the dealings I've had with marty by email with regards to some product purchases, you can tell his excellent service and willingness to help!

Now all Marty needs to do is clone himself and send the clone over to Perth pronto :)

#4 gforce100

gforce100

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

+1 on the awesome writeup!

Even just with the dealings I've had with marty by email with regards to some product purchases, you can tell his excellent service and willingness to help!

Now all Marty needs to do is clone himself and send the clone over to Perth pronto Posted Image

Yep.... but let's not forget the other guys in the workshop. Marty is the captain of the ship no doubt, but his crew make sure the ship is running.... and they're good at what they do!

#5 Tezza_VESSV

Tezza_VESSV

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • State:WA

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Yep.... but let's not forget the other guys in the workshop. Marty is the captain of the ship no doubt, but his crew make sure the ship is running.... and they're good at what they do!

Very true, he does tend to get most of the accolades, when it definately takes a team effort on the installs they produce!

As I'm on the other side of the country though, I've only ever had first hand experience with Marty.

#6 N-dr3w

N-dr3w

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Aside from their willingness to meet at rather odd times due to my work commitments and travel time, the FHRX team took the opportunity go that little bit further. They willingly provided me with a loan amp until my unit was repaired!! Now, I'm not suggesting for a moment that FHRX will do this for all customers, but I am confident that, if they can, the FRHX team will go that extra mile for you.

Marty is lending me his subwoofer too until I can buy my own. He may have a spreadsheet with a list of loaned equipment I guess :)

#7 shaky

shaky

500 - 1500w RMS

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:Breathing * Blinking * Scratching myself * Music
  • State:VIC

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Again, Marty has gone above and beyond....

I bought my Bit One from FHRX a while ago ( thinking two years) and recently the DRC lost several rows of pixels from its dot matrix display. I emailed Marty about this and he said to send it up and he'd see if something could be done to replace it. In the end, even with the DRC out of warranty, he managed a replacement for me and sent the new one back. I received it today! Yay!

It's rare to see someone who runs a retail and service business who understands the fact that customers mean everything (Without customers, you have no business) but even rarer to find someone who not only understands this but also will, it seems in Marty's (and FHRX's case), go out of their way time and time again for nearly anyone they deal with.

Marty, You're a legend! Thanks again for the help. When the time comes for any upgrade or addition you will be my first stop to spend my hard earned.

Cheers,

shaky

Edited by shaky, 16 May 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#8 PeterK

PeterK

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

I thought i just ad a reply here instead of creating another thread.

BIG thank you to the FHRX crew for all there assistance, patience and skills in helping me achieve my goals with my car audio. Not only was i able to meet my goals, with FHRX's help it was way above what i expected. Having done the installation work myself, the crew at fhrx where always very helpful, informative and willing to give advice which helped me install my car audio. It has been the first one i have installed, and am proud of it. Big learning curve due to doing it and made mistakes along the way, but hey thats how i learnt, lucky they weren't costly ones.

Would not hesitate in recommending FHRX for any CAR AUDIO WORK, advice and sales.

PK (White Corolla 4wd)

#9 gforce100

gforce100

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

... and since I posted my initial review, I've been back to have more work done.....

Upgraded the front splits to Boston SPZ60. Moved the the Boston Pro 5.25 component set to the rear and upgraded my sub amp to an ARC KS1000.1BX
My credit card is on fire tho, but it's worth it.

oohhhh SSSSOOOOO SSSWWWEEEEEEETTT!!!

And check out the placement of the rear tweeters!

I'm planning to be there for the Charity BBQ / tuning & audition day on the 25th for anyone who's interested to take a look.

Attached Files

#10 Nolz

Nolz

0 - 25w RMS

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

Awesome! I'm booked in for some work in Feb. Can't stand the wait now, especially after reading your write up and seeing the photo's. Scrambling to come up with some more coin so I can add this, add that etc etc =P

#11 iluvmusik

iluvmusik

25 - 250w RMS

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, music, car audio, home audio, photography

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I share all the sentiments of the above posts. I neednt add more praise than what I've already done in my MY12 Honda Accord Euro build thread.

I've gotten to know Marty, Daniel and Paul really well in the space of 2 months. They left me with an award winning sound system, go out on a limb to look after me.

Like Arnie, I'd say 'I'll be back .....' for more :)